Friday, October 21, 2011

It's just not enough!




Let me start off with some excerpts from my memories...

I am on a holiday and I stand at the top of a cliff and look at the world beneath me through my spectacles with a deep admiration towards nature. The height is breathtaking, nature surprizes me, and my buddies agree with me, though with different expressions of exclamation. I look down again, and there you go-
Wow!Awesome!”

Exams are on the run, and I sit long hours through the night, working on deadlines trying to figure out what those subjects really mean. I start with an understanding level at minimum, almost nil, and as I progress, I start getting the essence of it. Surprizingly, I wake for more hours and outdo my own plan. The best part is that I can't stop smiling when I actually shut my eyes to sleep, and I keep saying to myself- "You rock!!"

It's a saturday evening and the sun plays hide and seek with the clouds and diffuses a brilliant golden orange through the sky, making me feel it is the best sunset I have ever seen. I hurry to the kitchen and make myself a cup of hot coffee and samosas, and sit at my balcony, munching them. I spend a silent evening musing, watching the refreshing sunset in the breeze, and relaxing every bit of me. “Amazing! Solitude is bliss!”

It's midnight and the doorbell rings. I open the door to find my best friends standing there with a delicious birthday cake, shouting like maniacs in unison, “Happy birthdayyy!!!”

I start digging up for something I misplaced and I find some of my old photographs and greeting cards. I sit with them, watching them with continuous smiles and flowing nostalgia! It makes my day.

We find happiness in a lot of things we do, and a lot of things we experience. It may just take different forms- contentment, excitement, refreshment, joy, love, laughs or tickles!
But then, it's just not enough! More happiness we get, more of it we want. Many times, we fail to see what we have, just brooding over things that we don't. And thus we fail to be postive, to be open to recieve happiness and sorrow alike.
We cultivate hobbies and interests, and doing them keeps us happy, but a few years down the lane, priorities change, and we are strongly convinced that we won't find time for them anymore. We grow delusional, and start believing in others rather than ourselves. We try to find happiness in a lot of things, but we fail. Still, the constant hunt for happiness is still on!
There are hundreds of million-dollar questions for which we don't come up with answers. One of them being-
What makes me really happy?”
The first step to being happy is asking ourselves this question. There may seem to be different answers at different times, and sometimes, no answers at all! The answer, most of the times, is doing something which we are exclusively good at. Something that makes us feel alive! Writing, singing, swimming, reading, painting, dancing.... The list grows. Most of the times, we are mechanical in routine and materialistic in lifestyle, which puts our true self to sleep mode!
Wake it up!- and you are happy!
When we do find our answers and are happy, we don't really know how long it lasts. We might find something today that is really charming, and by doing it, we are happy. But by tomorrow, it would have lost its charm and we might find it not very interesting, anyway. We then, by default, go in search of a new answer and it goes on- It's just not enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment